The Old Oregon Motor Co. takes its name from the original Oregon Motor Company, a Ford dealership established in Portland in 1904. In 1916, the company moved into their permanent showroom located downtown at NW 8th Avenue and Davis Street. Today, the building is an art gallery and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Unlike its namesake, The Old Oregon Motor Co. does not have a retail location but rather is virtual in nature. Our cars can often be found on eBay under our User ID oregonmotorcompany. If you wish to view our inventory in person, showings are by appointment only.
Our proprietor, Bill Penny, has been selling classic cars for 35 years. He has worked as a salesman for some of the most prestigious dealerships on the West Coast. They include The Chequered Flag of Beverly Hills, Silicon Valley Auto Group, the Imperial Palace Auto Collection, Northwest Investment Cars, and Monte Shelton Motor Company. He also has been employed by Keith Martin's Sports Car Market magazine.
Bill attended his first "Monterey Weekend" in 1980 (aged 16 and unbeknownst to his mother!), arriving late on a Greyhound bus that traveled down the Pacific Coast Highway. While missing the historic races on Saturday, the following day he attended the only other scheduled event at that time; the 30th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Arriving by taxi, Bill stood right on the balcony of The Lodge, (because, in those relaxed times, no one told him he couldn't!) as the "20-Grand" Arlington Torpedo Duesenberg by Rollston & Co won Best of Show. Bill has returned to Monterey almost every year since.
In later years, Bill would pilot formula racing cars, and was the founder of Racing For Tobacco-Free Kids, an advocacy group dedicated to the elimination of tobacco sponsorship from American motor-sports. That goal was achieved when NASCAR renounced RJR Winston cigarette sponsorship, under pressure from the Justice Department and RFTFK, in 2003. Bill also served as Marketing Director for Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America World Land Speed Record Team.
The Old Oregon Motor Co. was established on January 1st, 2011 and is licensed, bonded, and insured in the State of Oregon under dealer's license number DA 3528.
Below is a photo of the original Oregon Motor Company showroom of 1916 as it appears today with the Overland auto sales building behind it. Note the faded Overland signage at the top of the defunct auto elevator shaft.